This guide will provide help in setting up basic SMS sending either from SAARA endusers interface or from external SMPP account to mobile number via 3rd party SMS carrier.
Before You start
Please check the following before setting up the calling system:
- A carrier with SMPP accounst for SMS should be available. Please have their connection credentials ready.
- Some SMS carriers require to have sending numbers (DID numbers) to be authorized and/or purchased from them. Please check with the carrier.
Setting up the System
Make sure SMS Master Code List exists
Master code list provides breakouts for rating and routing. To check if Master code list exists, navigate to Routing > SMS > Master List tab.
- Check if the entries exist in the list. You do not need a full country list if you are not planning to send SMS worldwide. Only add the countries you want to send to:
- Fill "Destination code" (country calling code, without any prefix) and "Name" - country name. You can leave the other fields empty for now. Click "Save"
- Repeat above steps for all Destinations you would like to set up.
Create Rate Tables
We need to create two rate tables: one with the sell prices to the customers, and the other with the buy prices from the carrier. Please repeat the below procedure for each table:
- Navigate to Products > SMS Rates.
- Click "Add SMS Rate table" button. Pick the name and write in the Rate Table Name box. Save.
- Once the table is created, click on "View". There are no codes yet, it is new empty table. Click "Add New SMS Rate item" button. A dialog will appear:
- Select the Destination from the list. You can add only those destinatiosn which are in Master List.
- Select the price per message and currency. Save.
- Repeat for all Destinations which you want to send messages to.
- When finsihed, repeat the same procedure to create another rate table for buy rates (your carriers/vendors).
We need to prepare products which can be assigned to Carriers and Clients. We will do the Rate table and Routing mappings later
- Navigate to Products. Click "Add Product" button
- Enter a name of the Product. This product will be used to sell to your Clients. Choose type : "Clients".
- Navigate to Carriers and click "Add Carrier" button. This will be for the carrier which will terminate SMS messages.
- Fill the name of the carrier. select the currency. You can leave the Credit Limit of the Carrier default at 0.00
- Save Carrier
- Click the View button name link. Carrier Edit screen will appear. Click the "SMPP Accounts" tab
- In the Terminating Account box Click "Add SMPP Client Account" button.
- The popup window will appear prompting to enter connection details:
- Host IP: this is Ip address or Hoste name of the SMPP server of the Carrier.
- Port: SMPP port. Default is 2775.
- SSL: whether or not Carrier uses SSL/TLS encryption for the connection.
- SMPP Username: username given to you by carrier
- SMPP password: password of SMPP account
- Rate table: In this case it will be the Buy Rate table we created in one of previous steps.
- Save the Account
At this stage the system should establish the binding with the carrier SMPP server. navigate to Home > SMPP to check the Status of the bind. Note that it can take up to 60 seconds before the information appears on the panel.
- Navigate to "Routing > SMS" section.
- Use "Default routing" group which is already pre-created in the system. Click "View" button to go into Routing group.
- You are now in the Routes window. Click "Edit" to go into Edit mode.
- Click "Add route" button. The rouet row will appear. Select the destination from the list. Select routing type: choose "Round robin" if you plan to balance load between carriers, or "Failover" to designate one of the carriers as main. You can leave "Round robin" if you only use one carrier.
- Add the Carrier account
- Set Enable switch
- Repeat for other destinations.
- Click "Save" when finished. The routing rules are then sent to the routing engine.
Map Routes and Rates to the Products
We need to actually tell products which rates and routes to use.
- Navigate to Products. There is the product we created in the step above: Sell Product.
- Start with Sell Product. Click "View" button.
- Click "Add SMS Rate Mapping". A dialog will appear:
- Select "Outbound Rate Table" - a rate table you created to use as sell rate.
- You can leave "Inbound Rate Table" unassigned - it is used to charge inbound SMS, e.g. for toll free messaging.
- Select routing group.
Create Client and Account
The System is set up for call processing. The last part is to create a Client.
- Navigate to "Clients >Clients" section. Click "Add New Client" button.
- New window will appear with details for new Client. The only required field is "Account ID", which is automatically prefilled for you.
- Allow some credit, by setting Credit Limit to some non-zero value
- Select the Product to match the Product you created in previous steps.
Creating SMPP Account
If you are not planning to allow your clients to bind SMPP connections, you can skip this step.
Otherwise, please go to "SMPP Accounts" tab of newly created client. Click "Add SMPP Account" button:
- SMPP Username: username for your client to use in SMPP bind connection
- Password: SMPP bind password. Choose a strong password!
- Product: keep the same Product unless you want to rate and/route this SMPP account differently.
- Bind: If you are going to allow only outbound SMS for this bind, select Transmitter (TX)
With this step complete, your clients should be able to bind to your SMPP server and send SMS messages.
Creating web access for sending SMS messages
Other, more simple way to make a test is to send SMS from web interface. To accomplish this, create a web login for the user created above.
- Navigate to "Web Accounts" tab of newly created Client. Click "Add Web Account"
- Choose username and password.
- Select "Main SMS" for an access group.
The Account for sending SMS is now ready. You can login into Endusers web interface with above credentials and send messages.